Friday, January 27, 2017

Texas 2x2 and Research

We had a lot going on this week.  Pre-K was wrapping up their unit on folktales, so I read The Three Little Gators by Helen Ketteman.



For Kindergarten, First and Second Grades, I read a book from the Texas 2x2 list. Each student must read at least 5 books from the list in order to vote for their favorite in April. I read I Don’t Want to Be a Frog by Dev Petty to Kindergarten. In First Grade, I read Hoot Owl: Master of Disguise by Sean Taylor. And, in Second Grade, I read There’s a Lion in my Cornflakes by Michelle Robinson.  All of the students seemed to enjoy the silliness of these stories.


A couple of weeks ago, I had 3rd-5th grade students complete an information literacy survey. After reviewing the responses, I have decided on some key concepts to cover throughout the remainder of the year. After we have covered these concepts, I hope to facilitate a group research project on digital citizenship.  This week we discussed what to keep in mind when creating their own groups as well as choosing their own topics.  Most of the students seemed intrigued about what topic we were going to research.

Third, Fourth and Fifth Grade students also voted for their favorite Texas Bluebonnet Award book this week.  The winner will be announced in February and our Bluebonnet Breakfast will be in March.


No comments:

Post a Comment