Friday, December 2, 2016

Cultural Diversity and Figurative Language

This week, Pre-K discovered the world of The Little Red Hen. I therefore, found a Cajun version to read to them titled, Gator Gumbo: A Spicy-hot Tale by Candace Fleming.

In Kindergarten, we discussed the difference between fiction and non-fiction books. I read Eric Carle’s The Very Hungry Caterpillar and Butterflies by Jennifer Hurtig.


Both First and Second Grade were learning about cultural diversity this week. I read The Sandwich Swap by Queen Rania Al Abdullah to First Grade.  It has a wonderful message of not judging a book by its cover, or anyone else for that matter. For Second Grade, I read Same, Same But Different by Jenny Kostecki-Shaw. It shows how people from different parts of the world can be different, but still have a lot of similarities.


Third Grade learned about onomatopoeia this week, so I read In the Small, Small Pond by Denise Fleming. Fourth Grade was working on their inferencing skills, so I read I Want My Hat Back and This is Not My Hat, both by Jon Klassen. The students really enjoyed predicting the outcome of both stories. Fifth Grade was also working on figurative language by learning more about metaphors. I read You’re Toast and Other Metaphors We Adore by Nancy Loewen.


Next week, we will be hosting an Hour of Code on Friday, December 9th from 1:30 – 2:30.  Please come and join us if you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment