Friday, October 16, 2015

Texas Bluebonnet Award

This week I’ve been talking to the 3rd, 4th & 5th grade classes about the Texas Bluebonnet Award. It is a list of 20 books chosen by various librarians, teachers, parents and students across the state of Texas for students in grades 3-6. All books must have been published within three years of the selection year and both fiction and non-fiction books are considered.
What I love most about this award is that it is based entirely on the votes of the students.  I mean, how cool is that?  Students get to actually vote for the winner! If students read at least five books on the list, they are eligible to vote for their favorite. The book with the most student votes wins the award!
This list always has wonderful books and I tell my students that this is a great place to start if they are having difficulty finding a book. I also love showing the book trailers to the students and seeing how excited they get about the different books. That’s what we have been doing this week and will continue to do next week. They’re so excited about them, that all of my Bluebonnet books are checked out!
Voting will take place at the end of January, so the students have approximately 3 months to read at least five books in order to vote.
Students that choose to vote will be invited to a special Bluebonnet Breakfast in the Library to celebrate the winner in March.
If you would like to take a look at the list, you can find it at the following link: http://www.txla.org/TBA-nominees and the link to the book trailers can be found at: 

I hope you enjoy them as much as I do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment