Friday, October 30, 2015

Holiday: Halloween

I’ve always loved holidays. So much so that I used to go all out and decorate my house for nearly every holiday. Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I don’t put out as much decorations these days, but I still like to celebrate them in the library.

I do this by trying to find stories that are about that holiday and read them to the students.  They always seem to love them as much as I do.
With Halloween being this weekend, I found this week to be the perfect time to read Halloween stories to grades K – 2.

In Kindergarten I read Click, Clack, Boo! by Doreen Cronin. In First Grade I read There Was an Old Monster! by Ed Emberley. We even managed to get a little sequencing practice in with this story. And, in Second Grade I read Haunted House, Haunted Mouse by Judy Cox. For a couple of classes, I even turned off the lights and read with a flashlight for a spookier effect that the kids absolutely loved. Although, there were a few who were concerned that I might hurt my eyes by trying to read in the dark. Such sweethearts!


Well, now that Halloween is almost behind us, I’ll be thinking ahead to Thanksgiving.  I can’t wait to read those wonderful books!



No comments:

Post a Comment