Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Unsung Heroes

Volunteers are the unsung heroes of our schools and particularly of my library.  That has never been more apparent to me than this year.  This is my 13th year as librarian and for the majority of those years; I’ve had a few, but reliable volunteers.

As circumstances would have it, some of my regular volunteers have not been able to come and help out like they normally do.  They plan to come and help, but just not right now. I currently have one very dedicated volunteer that has shouldered this burden for the past few weeks and I honestly do not know how anything would get done without her.

Without her, the mountain of returned books sitting on the counter would just continue to grow until it completely overran the library. I wouldn’t be able to teach classes or assist students in finding books if I had to reshelve every book that was returned.


Shelving books can seem like an easy, menial task, but don’t tell that to the volunteers!  They will tell you that it can be hard, tiresome work. Especially if students aren’t careful and leave the shelves a bit of a mess.  So thank you to all of the volunteers that help make my job easier. And, if you aren’t a volunteer – sign up!  We’ll be glad to have you!

No comments:

Post a Comment