Friday, September 4, 2015

To Self-checkout or Not to Self-checkout

This is a topic that a lot of librarians are on the fence about.  They are so used to being the one at the computer checking students out, that they would be lost if they didn’t have to do that.  If students checked themselves out, what do you really have to be afraid of?

They’re afraid if they let the student’s use the self-checkout mode, that they might not do something right and then the books won’t get checked out.  It would be mass hysteria!  Nothing would be as it should. They would have to give up control.

I must admit that I used to be one of those librarians.  I am at a school with a rather large population, approximately 700 students. I used to think that there was no way my students could handle doing that on their own.  Fortunately, I’m glad to say that I was wrong.

We started using the self-checkout mode last year. Not everyone was using it, but I thought things went rather well considering this was so new for everyone. This year I decided things were going to be different.  I am determined to make sure that every student knows how to check out books on their own.  That’s why this first week in the library I have made a point of showing everyone how it is done and then allowing them to actually do it when they checked out their books.  I thought it went extremely well.

Allowing students to check out on their own is beneficial in many ways.
When a whole class is checking out, some students can use the self-checkout station while I check out others at the second station.  This allows the line to move much faster.  Another benefit is if I happen to be with another class when they come in, they don’t have to sit around and wait until I’m finished to help them.  They can just check out their books and be on their way.  And finally, I think it sends a positive message that I trust them enough to do it on their own and that it allows them to independent learners.


I am positive that this will be a good thing this year.  I’m looking forward to the possibility of it freeing up even a little part of my time.  My time that I can be using to do one of the million other things I have to do.  I’m so thankful that this week was so successful.                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment