Friday, January 22, 2016

Biographies

As part of our Bookworm Challenge, nearly every grade level will have to read a certain number of biographies. I really wanted Kindergarten, First and Second grades to become more familiar with this genre.
Therefore, I used Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as a perfect excuse to read about the life of Martin Luther King, Jr.

I also used this opportunity to discuss finding facts within the story. After reading a page or two, I would stop and ask them what facts we learned about Martin Luther King, Jr.  It was probably a 50/50 mix of students that could and couldn’t do this task. I do believe I have found another skill that we will need to work on in the future.


I’m hoping this exposure will prime them for wanting to find biographies on their own about some of their favorite people and then sharing that experience through their classroom bookworm.

No comments:

Post a Comment